How To File A Complaint In Consumer Court Against Real Estate Developer

How To File A Complaint In Consumer Court Against Real Estate Developer

Project delays, property frauds, defaults on agreement ― a home buyer would go through one of these things or more if he somehow ends up buying a project with a wrong developer. The lengthy trials in courts would only add insult to injury. Therefore, to make things easier, consumer courts have started accepting those real estate cases where the purchased good or services are even less than Rs 1 crore. You don’t even need to hire a lawyer for filing a complaint in the consumer court.

So, what do you do?

Step 1

Send a notice to the construction company/ developer, before filing a formal complaint. It is important for the consumer to give notice to the opposite party regarding the deficiency in service or unfair practice. This is to see if the other party is willing to offer the compensation to make the good the loss suffered by the consumer. If the developer refuses or neglects the notice, the you can approach the consumer court.

Step 2

Submit a formal complaint under the Consumer Protection Act, 1986. You need not hire a lawyer for filing the suit. Fill this complaint form and submit it to the commission. On a plain paper, mention the details of the complainant and the opposite party. Otherwise, you can consult consumer grievance redressal forums which also help consumers in filing and forming petition at nominal charges. One such non-governmental organisation is International Consumer Rights Protection Council.

The consumer should file the complaint in the district forum which has under its jurisdiction the other party’s residence or office of profit or the area where the project is located.

You can also file the complaint online: www.consumerhelpline.gov.in

Step 3

You have to submit the fee through a demand draft. The consumer forum follows difference jurisdiction to entertain complaint:

For district forums

For state forums

For the National Commission

Types of defaults you can complain against

You can also contact the Consumer Helpline number on 1800-11-4000 in the case of any confusion or to file a complaint on call.

This content was originally published here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  • Try your lucky to get discount coupon
  • 1 spin per email
  • No cheating
Try Your Lucky
Remind later
No thanks